Our review of fabrics for bed linen is not complete without bamboo fibers. Bamboo textiles are clothing and linens made of bamboo fibers. While bamboo plants has long been used in clothing industry (e.g. in making corsets) only recent development of technologies allowed bamboo fibers be used in a wide array of textile and fashion applications.
Modern bamboo bed linen is made either from pure bamboo yarn or bamboo yarn blended with cotton. 100% bamboo fabric is prized for its softness.
Bamboo fabric is made from the pulp of bamboo plant. Bamboo canes are crushed and then either soaked in chemicals or a natural enzyme is used. This breaks down the walls of the plant and allows the fiber to be extracted.
The cellulose long fibers are then forced through a machine to a bath where they harden.
The bamboo fiber is then spun into a yarn and later fabric is woven. Bamboo is usually woven with cotton in order to make it cheaper as well as to allow for more stability and color variations.
The main qualities of bamboo bedding linen are these:
- Super softness – often compared to silk or cashmere because of this smoothness and softness.
- Bamboo bed linen is lightweight and durable. It is not at all delicate despite the soft qualities of the fabric.
- It also wicks the moisture away from the skin and help one feel cool and dry in the heat of summer.
- Superior absorbency, keeping your body fresh and dry.
- Bamboo fabric has the ability to kill odor-causing bacteria.
- Bamboo plant is grown without the need for any chemicals or pesticides it is naturally organic.
- Easy care – bamboo linen requires less frequent washing (at no more than a 30˚C) and dries in half the time of cotton. It can be tumble dried and has to be removed at once to avoid unwanted creasing.
One of the best things about bamboo linen is that they are renewable. Bamboo actually belongs to grass family, and it is extremely fast-growing (a foot in a day!). This makes bamboo bedding a great, eco friendly alternative.
Although many of us are happy with traditional bedding fabrics – linen, cotton or flannel, understanding the benefits of bamboo bed linen just might persuade one to buy and try a set